What Is a Grand Salami Bet and Is It Worth It?
In sports betting, the grand salami is almost like an over/under parlay covering an entire day’s action. But, instead of consisting of individual legs like a typical parlay, it’s one bet on a single total line for every game put together.
In other words, it’s a prop bet where you place a single bet on the combined total score for an entire slate of games on any given day.
It’s a popular MLB and NHL bet, although some sportsbooks may also have grand salami betting for other sports. No matter how you slice it, the grand salami usually pays close to fair odds and gives you a stake in a lot of games, making it a sports bet worth considering.
The MLB grand salami
There are 30 MLB teams, which means there can be up to 15 games (not including doubleheaders) on any given day. Add up the totals for each game, and you’re looking at what a typical MLB grand salami line might look like.
With this type of wager, you bet on whether the total runs in every game on that day will go over or under the sportsbook’s line. As an example, here’s an 11-game slate from a single day in September 2022.
Grand salami in baseball example
- Seattle Mariners at Oakland Athletics (O/U 7.5)
- Louis Cardinals at San Diego Padres (O/U 7.5)
- Toronto Blue Jays at Tampa Bay Rays (O/U 7.5)
- Milwaukee Brewers at Cincinnati Reds (O/U 7.5)
- Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates (O/U 7.5)
- Houston Astros at Baltimore Orioles (O/U 6.5)
- Atlanta Braves at Philadelphia Phillies (O/U 7.5)
- Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees (O/U 8)
- Cleveland Guardians at Chicago White Sox (O/U 7.5)
- Arizona Diamondbacks at Los Angeles Dodgers (O/U 7)
- Atlanta Braves at Philadelphia Phillies (O/U 7.5)
Together, the listed totals are 81.5. In setting the grand salami line, oddsmakers start there and may make some changes based on pitching matchups, weather, home ballparks, and other factors.
Then, they’ll generally set the odds at a standard -110 on both the over and the under, but betting action could cause these numbers to shift.
More games will typically mean a bigger line, but the odds usually only change based on betting. In other words, a 13-game slate might have a line of 94.5 runs, but it’ll likely still start at -110 odds on both sides.
The NHL grand salami
There are 32 NHL teams, which means there can be up to 16 games on the schedule on a single day. However, there are usually fewer than that because NHL teams don’t play almost every day as they do in baseball.
Once again, the sum of the totals for each game at any sportsbook is what a typical NHL grand salami line might look like.
If you’re betting on an NHL grand salami, you’re betting on whether the total goals scored in every game on that night will go over or under that line. As an example, here’s a six-game slate from a single night in October 2022.
Grand salami in hockey example
- Columbus Blue Jackets at Carolina Hurricanes (O/U 5.5)
- Toronto Maple Leafs at Montreal Canadiens (O/U 6)
- Boston Bruins at Washington Capitals (O/U 5.5)
- Chicago Blackhawks at Colorado Avalanche (O/U 5.5)
- Seattle Kraken at Anaheim Ducks (O/U 5.5)
- Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers (O/U 6.5)
Together, the listed totals are 34.5. In setting the grand salami line, oddsmakers start there and may make some changes based on goaltending matchups, home-ice advantage, recent scoring trends, and other factors.
Then, they’ll also set the odds, which will generally behave in a similar fashion to the odds for MLB grand salamis and other over/under bets — starting at around -110 on both sides and adjusting from there.
Grand salami bets in other sports
The grand salami is mainly an MLB or NHL bet. You won’t typically find the bet for NFL or college football games, where the totals are much higher.
However, don’t be surprised if it’s available for MLS or English Premier League games, where the totals are a more manageable number.
Which sportsbooks offer grand salami bets?
- DraftKings Sportsbook: An official sports betting partner of the NHL and MLB, DraftKings Sportsbook offers competitive lines for both sports, grand salamis, and a huge selection of live odds.
- FanDuel Sportsbook: An official sports betting partner of the NHL and an authorized gaming operator of MLB, FanDuel Sportsbook has every line you’d want for both sports, including the grand salami.
- BetMGM Sports: An official sports betting partner of the NHL and MLB, BetMGM Sports lives and breathes baseball and hockey lines.
MLB grand salami betting strategies
To start with, look at the same things oddsmakers look at. Look for how the various starting pitchers, starting lineups, weather, home ballparks, and recent trends might affect the number of runs and adjust accordingly.
Some ballparks are higher scoring than others, and recent scoring trends tend to continue. Choose the over or the under based on all these factors. Don’t worry about the rain, though; grand salami bets end in a push in the event of postponements.
NHL grand salami betting strategies
The best NHL grand salami betting strategies also start with a look at the same things oddsmakers are considering. Look for how the starting goalies, lineups, home ice, and recent trends might affect the number of goals, and bet based on what that tells you.
Top goalies consistently allow fewer goals than backups who rarely play, and if a couple of big-time scorers aren’t playing, that can also have an effect. Pick the Grand Salami over or the under based on all these different factors and any others you think will impact scoring.
How much does a grand salami bet pay?
You get paid for winning grand salami bets at the odds as posted when you place your wager. These odds aren’t usually much different from the standard odds available for a single over/under bet.
That typically means somewhere around -110, almost even odds with a standard vig for the sportsbook. Betting on one side or the other can force movement in the odds. Oddsmakers are usually pretty accurate; the true odds on both sides are about 50/50, and betting at the better odds can prove profitable over the long haul.
Is the grand salami a good bet?
The grand salami can be a fun way to analyze and wager on league-wide scoring trends in the NHL and MLB. Test your knowledge against the oddsmakers if you feel as if you understand the leagues as a whole.
Bet on individual totals instead if your knowledge is more localized. Grand salami betting is a challenge, but it’s not for everyone.
Who first called it a grand salami?
Famed Milwaukee Brewers announcer, comedian, and actor Bob Uecker often gets the credit for coining the phrase “grand salami” as a nickname for a grand slam. It now seems a fitting name for a bet covering an entire game slate.